Wednesday 18 February 2009

Cable Bay 16th February 2009

met up with Marc from anglers afloat forum at Cable bay yesterday to try to find him his first ever thornback ray.

We launched around 10am just as the tide had started to flood into a sea which still had a swell but not so much surf as on Saturday.

Photobucket


After a short paddle Marc anchored up whilst I went for a paddle closer in shore with the spinning rod and a baited shrimp rig in search of coalies. After no luck I returned to marc and tied up to him.

Photobucket

It wasnt long before Marc hooked into his first ever thornie of around 3-4lb on the first drop of the day 8-) Mission accomplished!

Photobucket


Marc followed this with another 6 or 7 (I lost count!) ranging from around 2.5lb to 4/5lb. I carried on blanking, but was getting plenty of thumps on the large frozen mackeral baits - think I was using too large hooks and too short snoods.

Finally, about 30 mins before I had to head home at 2pm I had a good thumping bite and pulled up into this beauty of a thornie which took half a mackeral - an estimated 6-7lb and a couple of pounds heavier than my first one last year. So left Marc to carry on for another hour, happy that I had christened my new scupper pro kayak with a personal best thornie:

Photobucket

Happy days 8-)

2 comments:

  1. Gotcha!!!!

    Hi Steve - welcome to the blogging world :)
    I wonder if you could use the 'yak' for the rays we got at Valley that time a few years ago.

    Stu
    Sea Fishing and Walking in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stu
    Nice to hear from you. Still havnt paddled at that location yet but will hopefully give it a try for the bass this summer - down from four mile bridge on last phase of ebb and back up river on last phase of the flood

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Ynys Mon / Island of Anglesey, Wales, United Kingdom
I am a forty something child of the 60s/70s who has returned to one of my main childhood hobbies (sea fishing)as part of my mid life crisis. Having shore fished around Holyhead, Anglesey from late 60s to late 70s I have recently (three years ago) re discovered sea angling and (more recently) sea kayaking, and now once again take full advantage of the beautiful Isle of Anglesey coastline and inshore waters.