Saturday 14 February 2009

Cable Bay 14th February 2009

Started the day meeting Alan (Brilltime) off Anglers afloat forum, who came to pick up the malibu2xl I was selling - nice to meet you. We then proceeded to Cable bay to meet up with Hughesey, Curly, Kev and Boomphat. I was keen to put my ocean scupper pro (swapped my prowler 13 kayak for it yesterday) through its paces, and as the swell and surf turned out to be bigger than predicted I mainly paddled up and downtide in the swell getting used to the longer, thinner. faster kayak - great fun, even when I took a big one broadside and got flooded :P After staying out for a couple of hours, and some of the guys picking up small rays, I paddled in for some lunch.


Here's some pics:

My new scupper pro kayak


Photobucket


Photobucket


Curly fishing in a bigger than predicted swell


Photobucket




and Curly with another ray


Photobucket


Photobucket



I think the total was Curly 7 and Kev 3 ranging from around 3lb to 5lb. All returned safe.

I was too busy playing in the tide and swell with my new scupper pro to bother fishing, and only dropped my shrimp rig down on the one short troll.

With the increasing wind around 1330 I went into the beach with Alan Hughesey and Boomphat for some lunch - managed to get in ok in a lull and then laughed as both Kev and Curly came in later on and both got wiped out in the surf which had come back up. Nothing lost thankfully and after stashing the fishing gear etc back in the cars we all had a really great time in the surf for the rest of the afternoon - and performed a number of self rescues / re entrys in the scuppers and some assisted rescues (during one of which my rafting of the two kayaks came appart and I ended up straddling the two yaks :o >:()




Had a great day out in the scupper and learnt a lot about its handling.

Got home in time for the Wales/England rugby - to round off an excellent day

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Ynys Mon / Island of Anglesey, Wales, United Kingdom
I am a forty something child of the 60s/70s who has returned to one of my main childhood hobbies (sea fishing)as part of my mid life crisis. Having shore fished around Holyhead, Anglesey from late 60s to late 70s I have recently (three years ago) re discovered sea angling and (more recently) sea kayaking, and now once again take full advantage of the beautiful Isle of Anglesey coastline and inshore waters.